Each year I take a trip to Firelight Camp in Ithaca NY to rest, recharge, and goal set for the next year. To ensure that I am a happy camper, I've picked up a few tricks along the way for the perfect glamping getaway.
What is glamping?
Glamping is a term used for "glamour camping". Glamping sites typically include resort like amenities including fully furnished tents, luxurious bath houses, and more. My favorite glamping site in upstate NY is Firelight Camp in Ithaca, NY because in addition to providing the luxury, there is a nice balance of traditional camping amenities like firepits, and plenty of onsite hiking and outdoor activities.
What should you do when you go glamping?
My ideal glamping getaway includes plenty of time for wandering, star gazing, and resting. I also try to ensure that I include activities that allow me to explore the local community.
A typical glamping getaway agenda for me includes:
- Dinner someplace local. I have tried many places in Ithaca and would recommend a farm to table restaurant like Hazelnut Kitchen in Ithaca, NY where I highly recommend making reservations.
- Stargazing boat tour. If you are traveling to an area with a lake it's wonderful to include an evening boat tour. While you are out on the boat take time to stargaze by picking an area of the sky to look at while the boat is in motion. In addition to being an incredibly relaxing activity, stargazing is a form of meditation with claims to increase happiness and reduce anxiety. If you're lucky you may even catch a few shooting stars!
- Get physical with nature hikes, outdoor yoga, and local swimming holes. Ithaca has several beaches, waterfalls, rivers, creeks, and swimming holes which makes it a great location for glamping. Firelight Camp hosts fun foraging tours which is another great way to learn about edible plants while exploring the beautiful hiking grounds.
- Plan a fun picnic! Going camping is a great excuse to pack your pretty picnic gear and host a fun picnic party. If you plan a brunch picnic with friends, it's an incredible bonding activity to set up your picnic site together with each of you bringing an item to contribute to the meal and set up. Check out our blog post, How to Host a Picnic Party, for more pretty picnic tips.
- Don't forget S'mores! Many glamping sites will provide all of the fixings to ensure that you can make S'mores during your visit. Ask your glamp site before your arrival to find out what they provide and plan to bring any additional items.
However you choose to camp this season my recommendation is to get outdoors and try it! Don't forget to pack a few style essentials for your stay:
Follow along our journal for my Glamping Fashion Tips coming up next!!